Saturday, November 13, 2010

SEB Vincenza

Dennis Neal shares some SEB pictures...
SEB I= The old Southern European Broadcasting (SEB) logo, before they were swallowed by the Great AFN Amoeba.




SEB II= One of the SEB TV News Studio cameras. Note the lack of teleprompter; I would not see a teleprompter until I reported to the USS America (CV-66) in 1984.



SEB III= Overview of the SEB TV News Studio circa 1978-1981, with both cameras and lighting in view. The "Chroma-Key Blue" backdrop allowed us to have slides seem to appear behind us -- cutting edge back then!



SEB IV= Then-JO2 Melanie Morrell (left) delivers the local news while then-JO2 Dennis Neal (me) naps. Melanie and I both retired as JOCs, I in 1994, Melanie in the late 1990s. Sadly, Melanie passed away due to cancer in April 2007.



SEB V= Then-JO3 Ray Gamrat (left) signs off after giving the weather while anchorman and then-JO2 Dennis Neal (me) tries to look helpful. These days Ray is rich and famous and still as good-looking as he was in 1978. Dennis Neal still can't retire and he looks like the Picture of Dorian Grey.



Best,



Dennis Neal

AFRTS 1976-1981, U.S. Navy Journalist 1974-1994, JOC USN (Ret.)

2 comments:

  1. I was at SEB from 1978 until 1981 and spent most of my time on the radio side although I had several stints as the news anchor. I laughed when Dennis mentioned the teleprompter. I did find an old 1950's vintage with the old typewriter than would labor to do one 3 inch letter a second, I liked it but the powers that be had been in country so long they didn't know what a teleprompter was so I was told to can it. Everybody felt uncomfortable with me looking at them..Learning of Melanie's passing was extremely upsetting. She was one of the nicest people I ever met. She was the one I called on when I needed something impossible done. We were shooting the fireworks at the Feast of the Redeemer in Venice in 1980 and I sent her ahead to find a good vantage point. She got us one. On the balcony of the Hotel Danielli, the costliest of all Hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that we never met, Dennis. I worked for AFN-Europe from 79-82, AFRC PAO from 82-86 and then USAREUR PAO from 86-91.

    I am also...Dennis Neal. I was in the Army while at AFN and still work as an Army civilian. I am now at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete